I have the habit of randomly trawling social media and websites from my smartphone that I know is anti-social but helps fill the moments of tedium between bouts of intense activity. Recently, I’ve been exceptionally busy at work and have just finished a 16 day stint without a day off, so all I’ve wanted to do when I get home is sit down and not move until it’s time to herd the children in the vague direction of bed.
The combination of the two above factors led the boy to plaintively state, “Daddy, you spend all your time on your phone and you’re neglecting us.” Point taken, even if his further analysis of what I could be doing instead did enter the realms of the surreal fairly quickly, including but not limited to:
- Building a life size working TARDIS
- Watching LEGO Movie for the 1,000th time
- Take part in a 4 hour Mario Kart 8 marathon
- Magic up a large LEGO set from nowhere and watch them build it
- Providing an endless supply of sweets and making sure that sweet potato is off the menu
- Take him to Forbidden Planet (at 6:30pm on a Tuesday evening)